Thursday, June 24, 2004

Come Pick Me Up

I went to a piano bar in Georgetown a few nights ago, Mr. Smith's. The piano player was a youngish guy, and he had a list of songs he could play, but it was the usual suspects: "Brown-eyed Girl," "Sweet Caroline," "I'm a Believer," etc. But one listing popped out:

"Come Pick Me Up (Ryan Adams)"

This is hands-down my favorite Ryan Adams song (solo, at least) off of my favorite Ryan Adams album. It's ended up on countless mix tapes. But among those other songs, at a piano bar, it just seemed odd.

Come pick me up
Take me out
Fuck me up
Steal my records
Screw all my friends behind my back
With a smile on your face
And then do it again
I wish you would


So I gave him five bucks, and he played it, and it worked. It's one of those small joys, you know, finding a guy in a piano bar that'll play an obscure, fucked-up song you love. Keeps things interesting, keeps the boredom at bay.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?