Tuesday, June 22, 2004

A double kick drum by the river in the summer...

So it seems that this year's Lollapallooza has been cancelled. Which is a shame, because the line-up looked pretty great, and was pretty original in that it was a travelling two-day festival. On certain stops, the first day would have Sonic Youth, PJ Harvey, and Morrissey; the second day had the Flaming Lips, Wilco, Polyphonic Spree, and TV on the Radio (as well as... ahem... the String Cheese Incident). All that, and it was $50 for two days. Me, I blame internet piracy.

I remember when I was a kid, I used to wait all spring for the line-up announcement. I'd hear rumors, and I'd make up my own fantasy line-up, within reason of course (Neil Young and Fugazi were always up there). The one in '93 was the first show I was allowed to go to on my own (the first show I actually went to on my own was 10,000 Maniacs a few weeks before. Nothing says youthful rebellion like a good rendition of "Campfire Song"), although I had to leave before dusk (I missed Alice in Chains and Primus, so I wasn't too broken hearted). The '95 one was absolutely amazing: Sonic Youth, Hole, Elastica, Beck, the Bosstones, with Superchunk and Helium on second stage. And Cypress Hill was there too, but I forced myself to sleep through it; now that I think about it, I've seen Cypress Hill live twice in my life... how did that happen?

It's too bad that it got cancelled, because for all its crappy henna tattoo stations, $4 waters, and hacky sack vendors, it did at least try to open up some impressionable ears and minds. Well, there's always file sharing.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?