Friday, July 23, 2004

Deja Vu

How much more do I need? Bowie's Diamond Dogs was reissued as a 30th anniversary two-disc set, just like Ziggy Stardust and Aladdin Sane before it. Is a remastered version of "Chant Of The Ever Circling Skeletal Family" a necessity for me? I bought the Ziggy Stardust and Aladdin Sane reissues when they came out, but I didn't own them before. Ziggy Stardust in particular absolutely blew me away; I couldn't listen to it for a week after the first time I put it on; its sound was just so amazing, the album itself was better than I could have imagined. But Diamond Dogs I have, and to be honest, it doesn't do much for me. But I'm a sucker for reissues, especially with bonus tracks.

More future temptations (or wastes of cash): the Clash's London Calling is getting re-released as a two-disc set with a DVD; Rocket from the Crypt's Circa, Now! reissue is out now with four new songs (and photos of the band. Yes, that's right. New photos); and now Pavement's Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain is getting the two-disc treatment in October. I'm a huge fan of the two-disc sets that preserve the original album on one disc and put all the extra crap on another. I really didn't "get" Elvis Costello's My Aim Is True at first because I had a special edition with a bunch of b-sides and unreleased songs stuffed onto one disc along with the original album. This dilutes the flow of the album, makes it too long, and makes it hard to experience what brought people to love the album in the first place. (The Costello reissues are now two-disc sets.)

So far I've successfully avoided the Jawbreaker Dear You reissue. I've been strong so far; I think I can make it.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?