Wednesday, July 07, 2004

He's blind AND he's throwing up!

I think, up there with Wet Hot American Summer and Richard Buckner's Since, one of the truly underappreciated pieces of modern genius is the art of Sam Henderson. Sam does the Magic Whistle comics, which I was introduced to back during my first year out of college, living in hot, sweaty Boston. A few of my friends and I had actually driven out to a show of his in Somerville, and you know what? I should have strapped on a set and bought one of his drawings. His work is just indescribably funny in a third-grade sort of way. My own comic stylings owe a huge debt of gratitude to this guy, like Cathy owes a huge debt to the racist napkin scribblings of a young Strom Thurmond. If anyone's looking for a birthday present for their girlfriend, or me, a lot of Sam's artwork is for sale here. Warning: there are a lot of ass jokes. And if you don't like ass jokes, then you are Log Cabin Republican.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?