Friday, July 16, 2004

A Whiter Shade of Pale

So my iTunes cherry has been popped. This is going to be dangerous. I'm through the looking glass, and you know what? It feels good.
 
The first song I bought? Procol Harum's "A Whiter Shade of Pale." That's right, it's a fantastic song. It sounds like prom night at Stoner Regional Vo-tech.

I'm trying to find iTunes exclusive songs and songs I like from albums I have no interest in buying. I know the Pixies' "Bam Thwok" is available on the site, but it scares me. R.E.M. has a 5-song soundcheck set up there, but damn it if I don't have enough R.E.M. live stuff. Then there's the Ryan Adams 3-song "Moroccan Hole" EP. But I'm ready to call some abuse hotline on Ryan Adams over our relationship. Everytime, since Heartbreaker, he's done me wrong. And I say, this is the last time, Ryan. But next thing I know, he's whispering in my ear, telling me it's alright, he's a changed man, he's going to take me to TGI Fridays for frozen mudslides and potato skins, and it's going to be like the old times. "Remember when you put 'Come Pick Me Up' on repeat and drank straight from the bottle of wine? That was a moment," he tells me. And I forget everything else. Then he does an interview in Rolling Stone about how he's going to release an album of spoken word comedy ("Very political, but very funny") with the drummer from the Strokes, and it's like "You fucking bastard..."
 
Whoo... anyway, where did that come from? Yeah, I like iTunes. I miss Napster and the dirty bootlegs I would find on there (PJ Harvey and Bjork doing "Satisfaction"? Sign me up), but in a world where punk rockers are doing ads saying illegal downloading isn't cool, I'll take what I can get.


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?