Tuesday, August 03, 2004

The Biggest News Ever

So tomorrow is supposedly the day. Wednesday. The formal announcement of the Vote for Change concerts, and the names thrown around so far have been Springsteen, R.E.M., Dave Matthews Band, Pearl Jam, Neil Young, Dixie Chicks, Steve Earle, Ani DiFranco, James Taylor, Death Cab for Cutie, International Noise Conspiracy, Jackson Browne, Jimmy Buffet, John Mellencamp, and a rumor of Bob Dylan.

Springsteen and R.E.M. are supposedly paired together, according to backstreets.com and Yahoo News.

Wait a moment. Please. Just a moment.

Okay, I'm sorry. I... I just wet my pants. Just a little bit, but still...

I flew up to Boston last September for the second Springsteen's shows at Fenway Park in Boston. The whole show, being in the magical park, this cathedral of America, seeing one of the greatest performers ever... worth every penny. Worth even more.

I've loved R.E.M. since middle school. The way Michael Stipe wrote, those cryptic messages, it was like a secret code between him and every overly sensitive teenager everywhere. As much as I have a problem with their recent stuff, that flame still burns, and I still love what they do.

The idea of seeing two of my favorites, playing for something that I am invested in with just about every inch of my being—the upcoming election, and God willing, John Kerry's presidency—gives me such a thrill. I can't think about bed right now. All I can think of are plane tickets, of internet sales, of tickets in hand. The thought of the electricity in that air, sometime in the future, it's the reason why you enjoy life.

I'm getting too worked up. I feel like Harry Knowles talking about Blade 2 or something on Ain't It Cool News, just ridiculous. I feel like an asshole drunk dialing his prom date. But this is the reason why I write this crap, why I read about music, why I could go broke buying every album out there. It's passion amplified.

So the official announcement. Wednesday... tomorrow.

On another topic: There's a message thread on Backstreets.com about Springsteen showing up to have pizza with some backstreeters who just did Habitat for Humanity. Makes me think I should buy a hammer. But it's a pretty cool read.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?