Friday, August 20, 2004

I Am The World Trade Center

I appreciate people who are ballsy in their life. I am, for the most part, not. I have never followed any muse, and I sort of rode the fence between "living my life" and "giving into the man." I never truly "sold out," but I was never all that happy and I never made that much coin either. So I sort of rode the fence called mediocrity. And I tamed that bitch; I have a belt buckle for keeping my balance on that gallant steed for more than 8 seconds. I think it's been 5 years now.

Anyway, things like Sweet Relief break my heart and earn my respect, because here are people that follow their muse and take a huge risk, that try and create something beautiful and worthwhile, and get slapped in the face by whatever you want to call it: destiny, bad luck, God, karma, whatever. I don't know if I Am The World Trade Center will ever get a grand album dedicated to them with contribution from Lou Reed, R.E.M., Pearl Jam, etc., or what, but their story really grabs me. Amy Dykes was hit with Hodgkins Lymphoma while on tour, and you can tell from the website (it may take a little digging; it's a beautiful site, but not the greatest to link to) that it hasn't been the easiest road to travel. I had a friend pass away from cancer, and I know how tough it is to deal with, insurance or not. I've had it hoit closer to home, in my family. So check out her story, maybe give a little love or find a way to support these musicians somehow. I think anyone who loves music harbors that secret fantasy of going on stage night after night to play something that you love, to find connection. And to have that dream cut down, and to not have the support, monetarily, of any of these HMO bandits, is goddamn heartbreaking to me. So here's a little pithy shout out to her and all of her ilk.

Anyway, let's keep things light. Here's the Cincinnati Post's review of Benji: Off the Leash.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?