Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Just follow the day and reach for the sun...

Consider me indoctrinated into the cult. The Polyphonic Spree played the 9:30 Club last night, and it was only an hour, but goddamn if they don't pack a lot of rapture into that time. I hadn't really listened to them that much, only knew that one song from the VW/iPod commercial and their appearance on "Scrubs" (which was pretty cool in and of itself). They had two keyboards, a harp, french horn, trombone, guitars, bass, drums, percussion, violin, nine-piece chorus... I think it's something like 25 people in all, everyone in flowing robes or dresses. Just an amazing show. Makes me wish I had seen them last time, when they played the Black Cat. Must have been an experience seeing all those people squeezed onto that small stage. Anyway, every song is about the sun coming up or staying strong or hope. It's all incredibly cheesy, but it's so exciting, with all those people up there banging away and singing, it's hard to resist. Hell, I would travel the country singing about the sun machine breaking down; it looked like a good time. As long as there's no testicular shaving ritual or handling of snakes (those little bastards are sneaky), I'd sign up.

Check out their cover of Bowie's "Five Years" on iTunes, which is very alright.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?