Thursday, August 05, 2004

Smile

In London, at Madame Tussauds' Rock Circus, there's a wax figure of Brian Wilson. He's sitting on a bench, in a bad suit, one arm slung over the back of the bench. There's enough room to sit next to him, and people do; they have their picture taken next to Brian's likeness, him sitting there with a goofy look on his face like a drunk 15 year old.

Wax museums are freaky by nature, but this is the king of freaky wax statues. It's not even close. Just the look on his face... brrr. The thing is, it's too natural. That's the way Brian Wilson actually looks and it hits too close to home. I couldn't sit next to it; I was too afraid it would lean over and calmly ask me if I had any Rollos. And if I didn't, where could he find a good, cheap theremin? It's almost as if Brian Wilson wasn't made for these times, but he was made for wax museums.

Anyway, I am reminded of this because Brian Wilson is bringing his live performance of Smile to the U.S.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?