Friday, September 24, 2004

Broadcasting now/ and lying loud...

It's always sweet when I get something in the mail, even when I've paid for it. Today Channel's Open EP arrived on my metaphorical doorstop from DeSoto, and this is what I love about indie labels: on the back of the envelope was a handwritten note, "Thanks so much! I appreciate it - Enjoy! bye, Melissa". You think any jamoke who gets a Jason Mraz CD in the mail gets that kind of personal touch? (Answer: no.)

Once upon a time my friend Jason, who is very sage, said that Columbia House was his relationship; he sends them letters, they send him CDs, he expects they'll be for him but is still happy when they are, they get angry when he owes them money, etc. You know, when I was in high school, when I got a handwritten note like this from a label, I'd pretty much count that as a relationship. Or at least a date. Unless it was from Kill Rock Stars, 'cause them girls are angry with an anarchy symbol for the 'a' and a middle finger drawn in as an exclamation point. But as I was saying, I was a player.

Anyway, the Channels EP is tasty. No Jawbox, but better than Burning Airlines. Thanks, Melissa.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?