Wednesday, November 17, 2004

If I only had a dollar, for ev’ry song I’ve sung/ And ev’ry time I’ve had to play while people sat there drunk...

On Monday, the Washington Post reviewed Friday's Fogerty concert. It's not so much the review I'm interested in, but that the author makes the argument that Creedence is the best American band ever.
Fogerty, the solo-happy guitar hero of Creedence Clearwater Revival, arguably the greatest American rock band of all time (think about it), took the stage at 7.
There's a word for that which ends in "y" and begins with "balls".
For those still debating CCR's place as the greatest American rock band, consider this: The band was together for only six years!
I found a list of the top ten bands ever on MSNBC to jog my memory. Granted, MSNBC is not my first source for music trivia. But they don't even mention Creedence in the top ten. The first American band on their list is the Dead. After them, the Velvet Underground, the Ramones, and Sly and the Family Stone. They give CCR an honorable mention, with the Allman Brothers, the Band, R.E.M., Springsteen, and the Beach Boys, among others.

So who is the best American band? See, if I could, I'd say Springsteen. Hands down. But can you count him as "a band"? Sure, it's "Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band" but still... I don't see them as a band. I see them as almost symbiotic entities: seperate but necessary to each other. (And if you count that as a band, you open the door to considering John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band.) If we're going pure band, I might have to go Beach Boys.

Well, at least they didn't mention the Strokes (best cover band ever!).

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?