Wednesday, December 28, 2005

And the poets down here don't write nothin' at all...

Watching Wings for Wheels, the Born to Run reissue doc, I just couldn't believe (and I'm repeating myself here) they couldn't have found space for a disc of outtakes. Don't get me wrong, the documentary is great, and has some unbelievable moments. but watching Springsteen listening to the sixteenth take of "Jungleland", with its effed-up mariachi-esque intro isn't the same as listening to it yourself. Or that live, quiet version of "Backstreets". Or give the stuff on the War and Roses bootleg a proper release. Anything. Is it too much to ask for a Tracks sequel?

The only answer I can think of is that Bruce believes there's a reason why one version wasn't used, and he's not proud of those versions. But listening to War and Roses, to the little differences between the takes... amazing. The emotion on "Backstreets", the strings and backing vocals on "Born to Run" are worth excavating. These songs are so loved and tattooed on the minds of fans, that hearing their genesis has immeasurable value. They may not replace the final versions in our hearts, but hell if they're not fascinating listens.

But I'm just repeating myself and rambling. Hey, how about the Dunkin' Donuts guy dying? Crazy shit.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?