Sunday, December 04, 2005

Your imagination's having puppies/ it could be a video for new recruits...

I finally got around to buying the Bowie/Arcade Fire EP on iTunes, and honestly? It's kind of "eh". The combination of these two should have been something close to catharsis, but instead, both of them are maybe tempered by the presence of the other. This should have been bigger, but it's more whimper than bang. A real missed opportunity. But there's always the chance I'll come around on it later.

The big hit was actually The Tragically Hip's "Something On" which is just simple and satisfying, like good mac and cheese. Comfort rock. And I broke down and bought the Veronica's "4ever". If they're nicotine, it's still in my veins, I guess.

Other than that, I spent a good amount of time loading up on free MP3s: Okkervil River, the Hold Steady, John Vanderslice ("Trance Manual"? yes, please), Magnolia Eletric Co (what's going on in my life that I'm hungry for intensely weepy neo-alt-country?). The talk of the town has been Sufjan Stevens' "Casmir Pulaski Day" but I still can't warm up to him. Too creepy in his devotion, too fragile in his voice. It all adds up to an uncomfortable listen for me, way too intense. Of course, I was also expecting catharsis from "Five Years", so I'm a hypocrite.

I'm looking forward to getting that Hold Steady album. There's a tiny part of me bothered by the delivery, and I'm finally hearing the Springsteen influence (you can hear it in the piano breakdown of "Stevie Nix"), but all in all, I could use a good straight-up rock album.

And as long as I'm spilling my guts about stupid crap, I'm really looking forward to the catfish sandwich I'm about to make, but not so much my Criminal Procedure exam on Friday.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?